Its raining out and I wanted to share on of my favorite cookies recipe. Munch on breakfast cookies loaded with real apple, honey and cinnamon—none of the artificial stuff! These cookies are baked with chewy oats and walnuts, so you can get your fill of fiber and don’t feel bad about it!
Apple Cinnamon Breakfast Cookies
- 1 large (223 grams) apple
- 1 cup (244 grams) unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup (72 grams) cooking oil
- 1/4 cup (85 grams) honey
- 1 cup (80 grams) rolled oats
- 1 cup (90 grams) whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 11/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (60 grams) walnuts, chopped
Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C), then spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.
Meanwhile, peel the apple and grate it using a fine grater or food processor. Squeeze out as much excess water from the grated apple as possible.
In a large bowl, mix the wet ingredients: applesauce, cooking oil, honey and grated apple. In a separate bowl, mix the dry ingredients: oats, flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined, and stir in the chopped walnuts.
Use a 1/4 cup–size measuring cup to portion out 12 medium-size cookies onto the cookie sheet. Leave about 1–2 inches between each cookie. Bake for 10–15 minutes, until cookies are golden brown.
Serves: 6 | Serving Size: 2 medium cookies
Per serving: Calories: 366; Total Fat: 20g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Monounsaturated Fat: 9g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 268mg; Carbohydrate: 45g; Dietary Fiber: 6g; Sugar: 18g; Protein: 6g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 191mg; Iron: 16%; Vitamin A: 0%; Vitamin C: 35%; Calcium: 3%
Energizing Tips (optional)
- Spread cookie with 1 tablespoon of your favorite nut butter for more calories, fat and protein. (Per serving: Calories: 461; Fat: 28g; Carbohydrate: 49g; Dietary Fiber: 7g; Sugar: 20g; Protein: 10g)
- Add 1 cup of reduced-fat milk for dunking and drinking to increase calories, fat and protein. (Per serving: Calories: 488; Fat: 25g; Carbohydrate: 56g; Dietary Fiber: 6g; Sugar: 30g; Protein: 14g)
and heart-healthy fats.